Thursday, June 11, 2015

From Beach to Beach to Beach to Beach....

We've had a busy few days.  Busy...but kind of simple looking back on it. Here’s a general overview of our schedule over the past four days:

Beach - eat - beach - eat - beach - eat - beach - sleep - repeat.

Just the way I like it. J
I guess I could expound a little on the details.

Let’s start with San Diego. It didn’t take us long to fall in love with this city. We struggled somewhat with the campsite situation here, though, because we were close enough to the airport that a plane impolitely zoomed over our heads at least every ten minutes. Not to mention, the mom of (what sounded like) 23 children in the site next to ours was less than thrilled at one of them for peeing in their sleeping bag! That was a saga in itself...bless their hearts. 

But besides all that, we were able to see a lot of the city, including the downtown area and beaches (of course). We strayed a little bit from our previously mentioned routine here and took a morning to see the zoo. I don’t claim to be a zoo connoisseur, but I thought it was pretty cool. My husband, on the other hand, is a zoo connoisseur and was like a kid in the candy store! Long story short, we thought it lived up to the hype. Oh, and the food in San Diego was A+. We were 3 for 3 on picking delicious restaurants, plus I discovered a new law of gravity..."T

he gravitational pull towards any white article of clothing is twenty times stronger than that of any sauce-colored clothing, no matter the size or location". I wore white shorts to Hodad’s and got burger juice on the shorts, but not on the huge pink shirt that was completely covering them. Another day, I wore a white shirt to In-and-Out Burger, and got sauce on the shirt while the blue shorts that the burger was sitting on escaped without a scratch...very mysterious.

Doesn't need an explanation...
Anyway, from San Diego we went to Los Angeles. We checked out the city and the Hollywood sign from the Griffith Park Observatory. Then we basically rode around Hollywood and Beverly Hills like we owned the place...just checking it all out. I’m sure our weighed-down, dirt-covered Xterra blended in just fine with all the Bentley's and Maserati’s! (SIDE NOTE: We originally had our visit to LA all planned out, but Drew Carey had to go and ruin everything that I’d worked my whole life for.  I was finally going to be on The Price Is Right! Sure, go on a hiatus if you need to, just pick any other week of the year! But I’m not bitter...I just don’t want to talk about it.)

Panorama of Los Angeles from the Griffith Park Observatory
Our campsite in Malibu!
After checking out LA, we camped on the beach in Malibu. Literally...on the sand. It was actually a little bit scary. We checked the weather when we got there and saw the phrase “remnants of Hurricane Blanca”. That pretty much sums up our struggles in setting up camp. I’m already a chicken when it comes to gusty winds, but it seemed amplified in the tent. I was almost certain that the wind was going to pick us up, tent and all, and carry us all the way to Oz. Also, you would think that somebody could put a toilet in the state parks, especially in Malibu…but no. I had to dehydrate myself so that I wouldn’t have to use that poo-poo pit! Luckily for me, it turns out that my stubborn will is stronger than my bladder.

This segment of the trip was a bit of a learning experience for me in other ways as well. I have been thinking a lot about Heaven since we set out a week and a half ago, mostly just because we look to seeing more of God’s creation as a way of becoming more impressed by Him. One thing that I have been thinking about is that as beautiful as this earth is, it has to pass away. However, I’m pretty sure that God won’t take this earth away to show us one that is not quite as awesome. Quite the contrary! As blown away as we were by the sunset on that Malibu beach, it hurts my brain to even try to think about how blown away we will be by the new earth. So, even with all the set up issues and lack of facilities…it was way more than worth it! And to think that we almost decided to give up on it and find a hotel last minute...I’m so glad we didn’t. (Romans 8:18 - "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.")

Sorry, sometimes my thought process drags on.

McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
Today, we have spent our time on the Pacific Coast Highway from Malibu all the way up to Monterey. This is going to be one of those paragraphs where I don’t know any words that will get the point across for you to understand how awesome that drive is. Just trust me, it’s absolutely unbelievable! The only problem was that most of the perfect dream beaches were unaccessible. Not unaccessible as in we were too scared to attempt the descent, but unaccessible as in there was a ranger with pen and pad ready to write you a citation if you tried. It was torture! Here’s a few pics to give you a little bit of an idea about what I mean.


Next Stop – Yosemite National Park!!!


Daniel enjoying the sunset at our Malibu campsite
An elephant seal on the beach
Bixby Bridge (built in 1932) on the Pacific Coast Highway
Rainbow over the Pacific Ocean
McWay Falls on Pacific Coast Highway
Cadie's favorite animal at the zoo was the Koala Bear :) 
Daniel's favorite was the Polar Bear...yes they have a polar bear in San Diego...go figure!


No comments:

Post a Comment